Home Inspection Requires Carbon Monoxide Alarm 2 comments


Home inspection requires carbon monoxide alarm to be installed.

A new law in California requires all residential properties to have carbon monoxide alarm installed beginning July 1, 2011.  

Most people are not sure of what carbon monoxide is.  Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air. 

It is produced by common home appliances, such as gas or oil furnaces, gas refrigerators, gas clothes dryers, gas ranges, gas water heaters or space heaters, fireplaces, charcoal grills, and wood burning stoves. Fumes from automobiles and gas-powered lawn mowers also contain carbon monoxide and can enter a home through walls or doorways if an engine is left running in an attached garage.  

Over 439 people die of carbon monoxide poisoning each year in the United States.   Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizzy spells, confusion, and irritability.  As levels increase, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and eventually brain damage or death can result.

The home inspector may recommend  installing a carbon monoxide alarm.  You can purchase the alarms at your local hardware or home improvement store.  They are easy to install.

 Having a carbon monoxide alarm installed will help  protect your home and family from carbon monoxide poisoning.  If you have questions about carbon monoxide, contact your local gas utility, a qualified heating contractor, or the Extension Services office listed in the white pages of your phone book.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide:

  • Car left running in attached garage
  • Clogged chimney
  • Corroded or disconnected water heater
  • Gas or wood burning fireplace
  • Cracked or loose furnace exchange
  • Improperly installed kitchen range or vent
  • Operating a grill indoors or in garage
  • Portable kerosene or gas heaters

 


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


2 thoughts on “Home Inspection Requires Carbon Monoxide Alarm